I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy finish Q if you please
Posted by: CB (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2001 10:07PM

Looks great, Tom. Hope we don't lose you from the AllCoast board because of this one! Really wish all you guys luck.

Now I'd like to find out about the length of time that you can still apply a second application of epoxy 2 part rod finish and still have it adhere well to the first one. At what point should you sand/prep the first coat if you want the second one to adhere. I guess I'm looking for the 'window' of opportunity that exists between first and second apps before you have to manually prepare the surface in order to make more epoxy adhere well. Everybody seems to disagree on the time limit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy finish Q if you please
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: June 12, 2001 10:32AM

You are correct in saying there is a window of opportunity in which two applications can be applied and the two will meld into one coat. Trouble is, there are some variables that can stretch this window a bit wider, or slam it shut!

Ralph O’Quinn can give you more a more accurate timetable than I can. Until he chimes in I will just say that if you are using one of the popular 2 part epoxy finishes on the market today you can probably apply a 2nd application within 48 hours of the first and without any need for any type of surface preparation. You may even be able to stretch this to around 72 hours, but beyond that and you most likely going to wind up with two layers of finish, one resting upon the other. This means that some type of surface prep will be in order. A good scuffing with a scotchbrite pad, just enough to knock the shine off the first application, should suffice. If you do this, remember to clean thoroughly with alcohol before applying the 2nd application.

Earlier I said there were variables that affected this window. If you use a drying box with any sort of heating element that window is going to be a bit smaller. If you are working in a very cool environment, the window is liable to be a bit wider. Remember that temperature plays a large role in the time it takes for an epoxy finish to set up and cure.

Thanks for the note on the board. I do want to mention that this board is in no way meant to compete with the really excellent AllCoast board (www.sport-fish-info.com). You fellows have one of the most congenial and helpful rod building message boards on the web. I will continue to participate as time permits.

Posted by: REELDOC (63.50.54.---)
Date: June 12, 2001 06:02PM

CB, for my own work I don't trust putting a second coat on until after the first has completely cured. Then, like Tom said I scuff it up JUST A LITTLE BIT and put the second on.

When scuffing wraps like butt wraps or any wrap with humps, I really take my time so I don't get into the thread.

Be careful if you use alcohol or something to clean an partially set up finish. I learned the hard way.

Just my 2.678 cents worth!

Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: June 13, 2001 12:03PM

Not trying to put words in Ralph's mouth, but I believe he once said that with Duragloss products, you do have about 3 days and it will still blend.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 13, 2001 03:39PM

First of all I want to say congats to Tom for another source of info and a place to share ideas. This board will be running full speed in short order, I would imagine. Back to the epoxy time window question. If you are looking for a quicker time line maybe this can be helpful. When I apply my finishes I usually apply the first coat of finish and rotate for two to three hours. I then mix another coat and add that over the first while the first is still drying. This is easily done and will help facilitate the actuall time to complete the finish in one day instead of waiting until the next day to add the second coat. I think that if you try it, you will find that it isn't as crazy as it sounds. I have been doing this for several years now and yet to have any problems.

Good luck,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Color preservers
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 04:13PM

I recently wrapped a rod and applied a coat of thread preserver and thread seal. After doing so the thread lost of the original bright yellow color, became dull and blotchy looking. It also seemed to stretch or some how loosen up. The thread I used was a Nylon rod winding thread. Could I have put it on too heavy? Is there a way to tell if it is NCP? Does it hurt if you put preserver on NCP thread?
As you can tell, I am a newbie and I am hooked! Thanks for all of the info everyone shares.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2008 03:08PM by Bill Eshelman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster