I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to measure the size of Tip Top?
Posted by: Michael Hong (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 06:46PM

I like to fix my fishing rod. The tip top's ring has fallen off. I like to order a tip top but I don't know the proper size. How do I measure it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to measure the size of Tip Top?
Posted by: Larry Michaels (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 07:09PM

They're sold in 64ths of an inch ID tip top tubes. You can use calipers if you have them, or you might be able to do a search on the web of tip top sizes and use your old top as a guide.

Posted by: mel shimizu (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 07:51PM

Many sizes match drill bit sizes. Remove the tip from the rod and try inserting different drill bits until you find one that fits. It should not be real snug as the glue will consume some of the space. Convert the drill size to 64ths and you will have the correct size tip. For example, if the 1/8 drill bit fits, then the tube size of the tip is a size 8 ( 8/64 = 1/8 ). Some tips come in half sizes so you may have to use some judgement. Best way is with a caliper or a tip top guage. I once had a tool company send me a drill sizing guide on plastic stock. It is a plastic card with different size holes used for sizing drill bits. This comes in very handy for tip sizes too. Just insert the rod's tip into the various size holes and compute the drill size in 64ths. Perhaps some tool stores have these available.

Date: November 04, 2004 07:57PM

Thank you for the answer.
I measured the diameter of rod where bottom of the tip top is. It is 0.099". So I think size 7 will be fine.
But how do I select the ring size?

Posted by: mel shimizu (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 08:05PM

You do not have a choice as to the ring size on a tip top. Typically, a rods guides are matched to the ring size of the tiptop. You may have a size 6.5 tube size. Where on the blank did you measure 0.099" ?
You should measure about 3/4" down from the tip as the blank will be bigger there. 6.5/64 = 0.101" 7/64 = 0.109 " A size 6 would be too small at 0.937"

Date: November 04, 2004 08:38PM

Thank you for the prompt answers.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 08:45PM

Merrock Tackle's online product catalog, page 73, for a graphic and text on how to measure rod tip tops.

Lou

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 12:26AM

Typically, a tube size 6 to 7 tip top is available with ring sizes anywhere from 6, 7 or 8.
Putter

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: November 05, 2004 08:15AM

Or go to Mudhole and buy that $5 tip top measuring tool.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 08:19AM

You should also get a book and wright down all the info of any rod you build. Make, model, size, tip-butt, guides, spacing. This way like now, if you need any info, as to if you sell it or have to repair it, you have all the info

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: November 08, 2004 08:03AM

Bill

Good point. I just started doing this on the last three rods I built.

Nice to be able to look back at what you did, what you like, don't like, and apply that to the next rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster