I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA for fly rods grips?
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 06:12PM

Has anyone ever tried using EVA for a fly rod grip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA for fly rods grips?
Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 06:28PM

Some have tried it but it tends to give quite a bit and you tend to grip it to tight causing fatigue. Cork has a firmer feel letting you relax your grip a bit. You will feel better at the end of the day. You can give it a try and see what you think. By building a custom rod you can do anything that suits your needs.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Larry Michaels (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 07:07PM

That's exactly right. It will give under your thumb at which point you overcompensate by gripping tighter. It's hard to make accurate and controlled casts when you're holding a fly rod by an EVA or any type of cushiony foam grip. Cork and wood end up being the only really practical grips types for fly rods.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 07:16PM

In addition to that, the Fly police will get you!!
(Kidding! No flames, please)

Mike

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 11:56PM

Mike,
The Fly Police will probably get me anyway since I use single foot guides and don't wear a vest.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 07:12AM

John Tebbits who posts here & has posted pictures on the Photo Page uses EVA, and disagrees totally with the above responses. He blames teh casting deficencies on the fisherman not being a good caster & looking for something to blame his lack of expertise on...and as a result EVA is shunned.

THEre are a few posts i the archives regarding this, do a search for "Tebbits" in the author.

Posted by: Dave Leonard (---.in-indianap0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 07:16AM

Maybe you should try a thin layer of eva over a slightly reduced diameter cork handle - thereby maintaining most of the firmness but getting a little cushion. Haven't tried flocking yet, but might be similar.
==dave==

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.125.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 08:23AM

Anything less than about 90 durometer is not suitable for good casting qualities in a fly rod grip. You'll have a hard time getting EVA in that hardness. I played with it for several years and in my experience EVA is about the worst thing you can use on a fly rod grip. It's just not firm enough. The old Lew's Speed Grip fly rod grips were passable, but barely.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: November 05, 2004 10:11AM

I have a bunch of rods built with EVA and except for the black color, have no complaints at all. I still turn Kork-a-lon ice grips for use on ultra light rods to save weight. I do not use the thumb on top of the grip, which may account for the lack of a mushy feeling. E-mail me if you want to borrow a rod to test.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.34.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 11:07AM

The slight softness of EVA is only a problem on fly rods - it's the only rod type where you rely directly on the grip to apply your casting pressure/motion to the rod itself. On other types, you're pretty much holding the reel seat when you cast.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 02:07PM

We at Neal's Have great pricing on the EVA fly rod grips just go to
[www.nealsfishingtackle.com]

We also have one in a brown/black wood grain in the EVA fly grips

Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products
www.nealsfishingtackle.com

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 08:25PM

The old Pac Bay Corkalon EVA was firm enough to use on fly rods. But it was also darn heavy! Cork just ends up being the best material available for use on fly rod grips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster