I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Striper Rod
Posted by: Rob (---.bluestar.net)
Date: July 24, 2001 11:25AM

Got a guide wanting a striper rod able to handle 50lb striper on Tennessee lakes. I'll meet with him for details next week, but would like to take him some ideas. I know he fishes planer boards and complains he breaks at least 3 heavy Cabelas and Bass Pro rods per year on fish. I'm thinking a Lamiglass GLB 901 or 963 or maybe a GUSA B70H. I could also go Seeker. Any suggestions from the field? Component or handle suggestions also appreciated. This guy is tough on equipment and fishes 300+ days per year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Striper Rod
Posted by: Dewey (---.NORFOLK.NIPR.MIL)
Date: July 24, 2001 01:55PM

You might want to consider a solid glass blank or maybe an ugly stick. Those are my favorites for saltwater stripers and have never had anyone return one broken yet.

Regards,
Dewey

Posted by: John (63.209.180.---)
Date: July 24, 2001 04:22PM

Stay with the ugly sticks. The flexable tips are great for running planers. That's why he's breaking them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 24, 2001 04:49PM

The Seeker CLB series or maybe the Loomis L904 or L905. The later are pretty stout all the way out, the former are powerful in the butt and mid-sections, soft in the tip. I have used both types for guys fishing on Norris on Boone for stripers in the size catagory and they work very well.

Posted by: Greg (---.fmr.com)
Date: July 25, 2001 09:28AM

I just built 2 wire line rods for saltwater stripers. I used a Calstar 670 which is rated for 20-50lb line with a Stuart Tuff Butt Sleeve and EVA grip.

Perhaps one of the best things that I like about Calstar blanks is the lifetime warranty.

Considering the guide fishes 300+ times a year, breaking 2-3 rods is not that bad. Who knows how his "guests" treat the equiptment.

As far as material of the blank goes, when I pay good money for a charter, I expect good equipment. To me, solid fiberglass blanks offer less than EGlass and composites.

Greg
www.ReelsAndEels.com

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.r8.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: July 25, 2001 11:52AM

Rob -- Is the guide leaning more towards glass, graphite or maybe a composite?? Just my thought, but for planer boarding, glass or a composite would be much more durable. May want to look at the Lamiglas glass blank - BMB 96 3M or in "S" glass, the SMB 96 3M and in their composite, the CMB 96 3M. These blanks have powerful butt strength, along with a tip that does have some flex for the trolling method.
Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2001 08:32PM

You might also try a rod called a "King @#$%&" they're a Bob Batson rod that is used up in Canada for deeptrolling for Salmon and I think also big lake trout. Not sure who up there carries them Tackle Canada maybe. I'll look around and see if I can find an address for you.

Posted by: Jeff (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: July 26, 2001 06:30AM

Skip the Seeker blank unless someone here can tell us that they have improved their quality. I bought a couple a year ago and they were pretty poor, not even remotely straight and poorly finished. Why take a chance.

As to breaking rods I have to think the guide does not know what he is doing, at least as far as selecting equipment, if he is breaking 3 rods a year. I have only seen a couple of rods break and they were little puny things that met up with a big saltwater fish. How often do you guys see rods break while in use and not in the car door?

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2001 09:02AM

Rob, I know alot of offshore Charter Captains that fish 300+ days a year and believe me they are very hard on their gear. I would go with the most durable blank and components. Make the rods look pretty and he will be happy.

Date: July 26, 2001 10:22AM

Thank you for all the great feedback thus far. I spoke with the guide this morning and he gave me the following feedback:

Wants 8.5 ft casting
Cork handles
Uses 3/4 to 4oz baits
Fishes 40/50 lb test mono
Prefers limber tip for planer boarding
Breaks most rods by snags or from fish running under the boat. Inexperienced fishermen let rod slam the rod agaist the side.
Uses/breaks Eagle Claw and Cabelas fiberglass blanks (under-rated for his type of fishing I'll bet)

Not much I can do about the breakage but build one to match his line and lure weights.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 26, 2001 10:39AM

I am not going to presume to know how you handle the breakage/warranty problem, but if you haven't already decided upon a wise course of action, I suggest you do so. No matter what you build, some of them are going to be broken on this gentleman's boat. Set a policy now, if you haven't already, and make sure he understands it. These rods will be used hard, and possibly abused by some of the fishermen. You don't want to be replacing rods over and over and the guide doesn't want to be disappointed if your warranty policy is not nearly as lenient as what he gets at Wal Mart.

Date: July 26, 2001 11:23AM

Good suggestion Tom. My present policy is that if all components are returned to me, I'll build a new rod for my clients for a $50.00 flat fee, plus shipping. I don't deal much in saltwater, so I don't take many hard hits. I may have to ammend the policy depending on how often this happens and what expenses I incur. I reuse the guides, often get a replacement blank from the manufacturer, and am only out the cost of the handle and my time. But I agree with you wholeheartedly, having a policy established is just plain good business. And this is after all for many of us, a business.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 28, 2001 05:59PM

Much has been said about blank suggestions and how the rods are treated. For the way he is using them maybe think about using a spiral wrap. It will be well suited for his application, and very custom. It will draw attention and result in future sales.

Just a thought,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Al G. (208.28.45.---)
Date: July 30, 2001 01:00PM

The classic striper wire line trolling blank is the Lami BT857S that is used by the commercial and charter fleet for trolling stripers. it is an Eglass blank and is very durable. Comes in Black and Honey.

Date: July 30, 2001 05:32PM

Thanks Al. I'll take a look at that blank as well.

Posted by: Neil Buchler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2001 09:20PM

Rob
I strongly sugest you stay with the Shakespeare Ugly sticks. Their "Guts Butts" blanks have more power in the butt section. To make the rod you describe take their 10' blank and cut from the tip and butt to achieve the action your customer desires. Send me an e-mail if you want more info.
NeilB

Date: July 31, 2001 10:37AM

My druthers is to build him a rod on an Ugly Stick blank, but they do live up to their name--they really are ugly. Guess it's a decision between building him the perfect, unbreakable planer board rod, or something not quite as appropriate, but better to look at so other guides and fisherman will take notice of my work. And Ugly Sticks seem so...80's. Ah, the dilemma! I may build it on an Ugly Stick blank yet. Thanks for the thread of advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster