I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jason St Croix.. Question
Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: July 23, 2001 06:42PM

I believe I found some one that can shed some light to the mystery that had been troubling me. In most Japanese rod, the
US$150.00 always have the material content at 67% carbon, 33% glass. But the $700.00 and up always claim to be 98%
carbon 2% glass. On the extremely expensive one. The one over US$1000.00 way up to $3000.00 are 99.9% carbon
0.1% glass. Is it possible to make that kind of percentage in real world. Or it is just a matter of cost? Can we in America
make things like that or there is just no market for that kind of stuff. Not to mention I get really confused on
manufacturing term like micro weave, bi- and uni direction carbon roll. e.g. gamakatsu make a rod with tip at 0.8mm and
butt at 24.4mm length 5.3 meter and only weight 180g with guide and handle, but cost $980.00, material 99.9% carbon,
0.1% glass. While nearly all there European (American) style rod are at 87 to 93% carbon... not to mention they cost just
under US$400.00

Thank you in advance for your insight and help.

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

Options: ReplyQuote
confusion
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 23, 2001 09:52PM

I think all those numbers are confusing because they don't represent the same thing. You've got to have some resin in there somewhere so I wonder what the numbers represent. The percentage of each material of the total material amount? The percentage of the total make up? The percentage of total weight?

Re: confusion
Posted by: Jason (St. Croix) (---.lax.customer.centurytel.net)
Date: July 24, 2001 06:06PM

Those are my thoughts as well Pete. Those numbers illustrate that there is virtually no resin in the blank, which is impossible. They must be only comparing the glass to carbon proportions. If thats the case, it is possible to make a blank that is 100% carbon. Our Legend Elite series would be considered 100% carbon, because it uses carbon for both the scrim and the main fiber. However, a large percentage of it is also resin, so the whole structure is far from 100% carbon. Those numbers you posted above Dorge, just don't make sense. I think they are abusing those proportions much like some manufacturers abuse the term modulus. Reading those claims above, shows me that they themselves don't even know what they are claiming. To end my point, yes we in America can make such things, and can do it better. The difference is that we don't need to make such claims to sell our products. The products sell themselves with quality and good customer service. It's good that we quiz situations like this to educate the consumers. Take care.

Jason
St. Croix

Right on...
Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: July 24, 2001 06:57PM

Jason, Pete, that's my thought also. But the entire Japanese domestic industry was using this kind of number in EVERY
single rod they built. I mean Daiwa, Shimano, Nissin, Gamakatsu, NFT, etc. The problem is that I am not be able to
locate where and how those number is based on. I am able to find out that all standard of specification was governed by
the "Japan Fishing Rod Standard Trusted Council" a direct translation I make from some chinese words. It would really
be interesting in knowing what the standards are. With what limited I am able to find out; all rod must pass this council
before they can be on the market!! I also understand that nearly ALL rod manufacturer in Japan, need to be a member of
this council or member retailer will not carry their rods...

That's said, only if I or someone can find out what those standard means, my confusion will be cleared. Any one from
Japan that can help? I only got one year of Japanese way back when I was a freshman in college (16 yr. ago), so DO
NOT point me to a japanese web site, please.

Last, Jason, I do not think they are abusing the system, just that I have no idea what the system, (standard, qualification,
measurement) is!! It is also interesting that all their high end rod are so outrageously expensive, are they using something
we do not understand, or the Japanese are that gullible.... ???

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

Re: Right on...
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2001 08:47PM

At $1000.oo-$3000.00 for a rod or a blank the resin/matrix must be gold,titanium,platinum,or some such thing. For A fishing rod? To go fishing with? That's like spending $1million for a golf club membership! Which I understand they do over there as well. Guess golf and fishing AIN'T for your every day kinda person. warren

Re: Right on...
Posted by: Chris-Flying Fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: July 30, 2001 09:34PM

Dorge,

I'd have thought you're familiar with the materialistic Japanese society by now?

The expensive fishing gear is cream of the crop, top class and all that, and Japanese labour production is very high, especially for quality craftman ship that is low in volume, hence the extremely high price.

If you've been to Japan, you'll see that fishing gear is not the only items that have such high price tags.

I've handled some of their top priced bass rods when bass fishing there, and honestly they don't seem better than the top of the line USA brands. Just more pricey. However they are very good.

As for the other pole rods, boat rods, etc, I can't make a comparison as they are one of a kind design for the Jap market, can't make a fair judgement.

I'm headed to Nagoya on Friday, I'll see if I can dig out this info you are so interested in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster