I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic thread
Posted by: Mike Carnegie (---.ocnsd1.sdca.home.com)
Date: July 21, 2001 10:59AM

Hey Guys,

Are there any do's and dont's to using metallic threads as accent bands? I've never used the stuff before, but I've decided to give it a try on this flyrod I'm currently building for my son. Nothing fancy really, just an accent band or two at either end of each guide wrap as well as the NS winding check. I'm using regular Gudebrod "A" nylon and no CP so that the SF guides will show through. For some reason I recall reading somewhere that CP must be used with metallic threads or it'll look like @#$%&. Is this true, and if so, how would you go about applying it without getting CP on the surrounding nylon thread? Thank you all for the terrific advice you've given me so far. This is hands down the most informative and friendly site of it's kind on the web.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic thread
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.s1613.apx2.lnh.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: July 21, 2001 11:46AM

Mike: I use metallics almost exculsively and have never used CP on them. That is one of the reasons I like to use metallics. When the rods are wrapped, I can just apply my favorite two part epoxy finish. John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 21, 2001 11:57AM

John is right on the CP/metallic issue. As far as working with the metallics, be aware that some practice is in order. They behave a bit differently than regular nylon wrapping thread. Play with different tension settings until you find the one that seems to work the best. And don't get discouraged if your narrow tags/trims sometimes fly apart. That happens to all of us!

Lots of different type metallic threads are available. They all look, feel and behave somewhat differently so be sure to try several different brands. While one may be the worst thing you've ever used, another may be just what you are looking for.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (63.50.54.---)
Date: July 21, 2001 01:41PM

The NU metallic thread that McKamey sells is pretty good thread.
Like Kirkman says, don't over-tension it.

You don't need CP on metallic thread. Just finish right over it.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: July 21, 2001 01:46PM

Regarding CP, not necessary, but also won't worry too much if it gets on the trim band along with the nylon tread above.

It's true some brands will behave better than others. We've tried a couple of imports that were awful for breaking off no matter how careful about the tension adjustments. Also some are 'stiffer' and don't lay down as nice. Gudebrod is fairly consistent, but for something different might want to try the japanese silk A size threads. Supple, yet strong to work with and tie off excellent.
Go with what works best for your talent and budget.

Rich

Just me or you too?
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: July 21, 2001 03:09PM

I built a rod using HT metallic covered by Supreme. When the rod was done I took it into the sunlight to get a better look at it, and noticed that the expoy by the tunnel (BYLG guides) had a blueish tint. Has anyone else had this happen to them , or is it just a freak occurance.

Billy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster