I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread art book
Posted by: RON (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: July 21, 2001 07:49AM

hi i'm looking for the custom thread art book by dale clemens does anybody know where i can get one of these? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread art book
Posted by: Frank Moore (---.client.dsl.net)
Date: July 21, 2001 10:54AM

Ron, the newest printing of this classic was distributed recently. Most suppliers will have copies by now but I know Dick French at Clemens has stated that they have them available.

Posted by: Rich (---.denver1.co.home.com)
Date: July 21, 2001 11:13AM

You should try Half.com . Great books at great prices. I have a copy of this and found it very hard. I can do some nice thread art but I didn't learn it fromt hsi book. I do fishes and tartans.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2001 11:20AM

Sorry Rich couldn't disagree more ,like anything there is a learning curve and you need to understand how the wraps are laid out,I don't think any book can explain in detail the complete layout without having color plates made of every single pass of thread which would lead to a book costing hundreds of dollars,but overall this is one book well worth the investment.
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 21, 2001 12:01PM

Many people have commented that they find the book hard to understand. Yet it is really one of the those things where you have to read the first few chapters very carefully, gaining an understanding of the terms and concepts and then suddenly you will find that a light will "come on" and you'll have it. After that, any pattern sequence or even just a photo of a wrap will be sufficient for your understanding. Stick with it. Read the first few chapters again. It's not hard, but does require a little different train of thought.

Re: thread art book-The most important chapter
Posted by: Harv (---.warren.pcidu.com)
Date: July 21, 2001 12:52PM

is " A Common Language". Study this one well,so that when someone says "up left" or "down right"..everyone understands.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: July 21, 2001 01:40PM

The book is by now a classic and has a fairly comprehensive array of patterns to duplicate or modify to your own likeing.
My wife/partner, Solly can decifer these patterns on a dime and finds the book quite a useful reference, but usually will add our own 'details' to what is already patterned.

I agree with John. This is a very useful book for learning and reference .There are also a couple of other publications about thread art including "Decorative Rod Wrapping Guides" I and II which are fairly easy to follow.

We also stock these and other books and some videos for rodbuilders.

Rich
www.rodreel.com

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: July 21, 2001 08:11PM

Hi I also agree with John..Just go slow and try some of the simple patterns at first. What you well notice is all the patterns start with a X or a box. Once you understand the basics, You can design any thing you can think of. I am into weaveing also. Weaveing is more challenging. Anglers Workshop is a other source to look at. Get hold of Wes he just posted Anglers Workshop last week
Good luck Bob

Posted by: Kurt (---.hypercom.com)
Date: July 31, 2001 05:11PM

I found my copy at Bookfinders.com - This site shows you where to find both new & used books. - KC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster