I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Pros and Cons of Spiral Wraped Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2023 07:21PM

I doubt your knots are going to hang more often than whatever they do now. If, however, you use one of the quick transition methods that stack 3 or 4 guides in the first 15 inches, they might. But you shouldn't have any knots running down to the reel. Why are you using mainline to leader knots for bass? Are you putting fluoro on the end?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 10, 2023 08:35PM

Gary's early Loomis Composites rods were spiral wrapped, like others he went where the money was.

Posted by: Brian Petters (172.59.219.---)
Date: May 11, 2023 11:04AM

"But you shouldn't have any knots running down to the reel. Why are you using mainline to leader knots for bass? Are you putting fluoro on the end?"

I generally don't use leaders, but the BFS video I watched suggested doing so because the lightness of having braid backing would allow the lighter weights to cast better. I'm skeptical myself, but the whole idea is kind of wild anyway.

Here's the video: [www.youtube.com]

Brian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2023 11:19AM

The size of the guides are likely to be a bigger problem than the fact that the rod is spiral wrapped. Regardless, if the type spiral wrap you use features a very straight line path then it'll pass the knot as easy as if the guides were on top in conventional fashion.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: May 11, 2023 12:04PM

@brian - don't be skeptical. The lighter line keeps the spool light which affects the spool inertia - plus with light lures braid absolutely casts farther with less effort. I plan to give BFS a go either this season or next, Keep us posted how your rod build comes out.

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: May 11, 2023 01:50PM

6-6” is fine. I fish a 6-8 for bfs style in the kayak often. Throwing zman trd on a 1/32 or 1/16 bonefish jig. Diawa Zillion (bfs spool added) with 8/10 braid to spooky redfish. The lighter spools are money. I stay with 5-5.5 torzites, upsize one for regular.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2023 01:51PM by Tim Scott.

Posted by: Brian Petters (---.knology.net)
Date: May 12, 2023 12:51PM

Thanks.

I'm not likely to be building this rod until July, but I will keep everyone posted.

Brian

Posted by: Tony Hill (---)
Date: May 13, 2023 09:33AM

It does not affect casting distance at all. Some bass guys who lay their rods down don't like how they lay. Others want the spiral either to the left or right, depending on how they lay their rods down when running.

Spiral wrapping is a benefit in rods that are cast or when fighting larger fish because you can use lighter guides, yet still retain maximum fish fighting power. My favorite redfish/striper conventional rods are spiral wrapped. I rarely let anyone else use those two rods. They have a few double foot guides at the spiral and then transition to single foot and then fly guides to the tip.

Those rods literally FEEL like they are half the weight of the others on similar blanks, but with standard guides. I never use the old ones anymore. I probably need to strip them and convert them over one day.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster