I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why not set a standard?
Posted by: Stephen Ashcraft (200.56.228.---)
Date: July 20, 2001 08:28PM

I'm in the middle of writting an article for a regional outdoor magazine. The subject is selecting rods (custom or factory) for diferent bass fishing tecniques. I run into trouble trying to explaining the differences between light, medium, med-heavy, heavy, etc. It seems that every company sets its own standard for catagorizing rod power caracteristics. Futhermore, bass rod makers seldom metion action carateristics of rods. The angle I am taking with the article is that this delema is just another reason for going to a custom rod. But, even blank makers don't agree on blank power caracteristics.

Why not set a numeric standard for action and a standard for blank power similar to IGFA ratings on line? Is this too simplistic, or will it show people up. I understand it could be misleading -- a stronger blank isn't necesarily a better blank, but at least we could know how much dead weight it will bear in a controlled environment as compared to another.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why not set a standard?
Posted by: Jeff (---.s294.tnt1.lnhva.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: July 21, 2001 04:48AM

This is an excellent idea but setting a standard is not an easy process. You need to get all the manufacturers to sit down and agree on a common way to measure all their products. It would take a lot of time and a lot of employee time which means payroll money out the door.

How about it manufacturers? This idea must have come up before, how did it fly?

Already have them, sort of
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 21, 2001 09:01AM

For the most part, these standards have already been set by default. The manufacturers need to be able to show the customer what to expect and thus have provided good descriptions on their rods/blanks in their catalogs.

Here's what we can be sure of: Action refers to the initial flex profile of the blank. Fast action blanks bend mostly in the upper 1/3rd of their length. Medium, (sometimes called moderate), bend mostly in the upper 1/2, and slow actions blanks bend throughout their entire length.

Power is a bit different and you must recognize the differences between intended applications. For instance, a "heavy" power bass rod is not going to be the same power of a "heavy" power saltwater boat rod. You have to read these within the realm of their own classification. Some companies use a number to designate power. For instance, a Loomis bass or spinning blank ending with the number "4" will correspond to most other blanks in the same type catagories also ending with the "4" power designation. Obviously, this does not carry across the board from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Could verbatim model number designations be laid out for everyone to follow? Probably, but most manufacturers prefer to use their own numbering system for a variety of reasons. And, what governing body would set these standards? The ASA would be the obvious choice, but their clout in recent years has dwindled. Still, you've raised a good concern and perhaps you are the person to do a little more work on the issue.

It's the customer that needs it.
Date: July 21, 2001 11:16AM

As a rodbuilder I don't really have that much trouble discerning between blank power. I've had an extensive amout of blanks in my hands and am able to give you an idea of what it will do just by playing around a little and bending it on the cieling. Action is no mystery either. It's the customer who needs a little more guidence. I don't know if the manufactures can be trusted to grade their own products. (You can probably deduce that from the responce to this post.) I think we need more of a consumer review publication, or addition to a current puiblication every year where manufacters of both blanks and rods submit new products to be tested independently for review.

The trouble I've been having, for instance, is with people confusing the line recomendations with actual power. For examble the Loomis Mag Bass 6.5ft MH rod is classified for 10-17lbs. I can assure you it will pop into about five pieces before it gets to 17lbs. So what do you tell the costomer that a particular rod will lift.

Maybe blank makers want this to be misleading so they can just write it off as overstressing and sell another blank. How much stress can be applied before it is "over-stressed" ? Shouldn't there be some number available to consumers to quantify this?

Re: It's the customer that needs it.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 21, 2001 11:50AM

There probably should be. But here is another opportunity for the custom builder to offer something the factories either won't or can't.

I routinely changed the specs on rods I built to better serve the customer. For instance, let's say a customer told me he liked to fly fish small streams and only casted distances of less than 30 feet, but wanted a 5 weight rod. Obviously, most 5 weight rod blanks won't load until you get at least 25 to 30 feet of line past the tip. So I would build him a 4-weight but list/inscribe it as a 5. He would put a 5-weight line on it and marvel at how well it worked, compared to all those other 5-weight rods he had that "just wouldn't load" when he tried to cast/fish them.

If you know a blank won't take a 17lb load, inscribe it for a max of 12, or 10 or whatever your personal experience as a rod builder has told you it will handle. That naked blank you have can become anything you want it to be. Fly can become spinning, a 5 weight a 4 weight, a 17 lb rated blank a 12 lb rated blank. Just another part of the custom rod building craft. And probably a part that you'll have to be much more involved in than the customer - he doesn't have your experience and must rely on your abilities and knowledge.

Re: It's the customer that needs it.
Date: July 21, 2001 02:29PM

You're right. The mere fact that factory rods are dificult to compare base on what they advertise is a good reason to go to a custome builder. And I suppose that unless blank makers see a rea$on for setting a comparative standard, it is not going to happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster