I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hardloy and braids?
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt1.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: February 12, 2002 02:50AM

Will FUJI hardloy guides withstand the super braids. I see a lot of Muskie Rods off the shelf with Hardloys and a stainless tip top. I was just curious? I can see the tip top as a good idea for cost effective and strength but heavy. My own will be S.I.C. all the way.
Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hardloy and braids?
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2002 03:09AM

Yes they will stand braid. I saw color pictures of some that were tested along with sic as well as some non Fuji. It show that surface of the ring on the Hardaloy was a little more polished, the sic show no evidence as being used and the non fuji was grouved, for what it is worth.

Kerry

Posted by: Matt Davis (206.144.236.---)
Date: February 12, 2002 07:20AM

Today's superlines are not a problem for guides. Some of the first superlines contained different materials, like Kevlar, which damaged guides. Today's superlines are made from polyethelyne (milk jugs) and will not damage guides. Polyethelyne is a slick plastic and it really is almost like it's self lubricating.

Re: Hardloy and braids?/Muskie
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 12, 2002 09:03AM

Mark,
Don't have test data, but I believe when talking about the use of super braid lines on muskie rods, you have to take into consideration several factors about guide wear, or possible grooving. Hard ceramic ring guides (hardloy, hialoy, etc.) are most likely fine to use in MOst situations. As with overrating the blank line load, my thinking is that with using super braid lines in the higher tests, there is considerable interraction on the guide surface and line contact. Consider that a lot of current choice might be 80# super braid line being used, but is chosen on the basis of thin line diameter (maybe only 20# equivalent). The line has nearly no stretch, and is designed for positive powerful hookset. You can see the line at these high tests can produce quite a bit more 'infulence' against the rod and guides.

I like the assurrance of a harder material for at least the tip top, but for using hi test super braids, I recommend a step up in hardness from hardloy ceramic ring material. The peace of mind in being able to handle better the high heat build up and bearing down on the guide that 'might' groove and fighting the trophy of a lifetime is really the key here in relation to the muskie class rods.

I tend to go along with your idea of using SiC or zirconia hardness guides for most muskie rods in the higher line class ratings at least.
They are more expensive, but not necessarily heavier. SiC can be more 'fragile' to being banged about, but the idea is greater hardness and better dissipation of line heat build up.

A note on superlines like Tuf-line is that they are made of 'Spectra' space age fibers. Many are treated by various methods to resist abrasion on the line. I think much more to consider here is the weight line chosen. The heavier the line, the more it can play an influence against the equipment (rod, blank, guides, etc.).

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Chris Tan (---.jaring.my)
Date: February 12, 2002 07:06PM

Been using spiderwire since it came out. And been using them on fuji hardloy (note, fuji here, not the cheap imitations). No problems. Some of the rods are still in use.

Posted by: Greg Selke (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2002 11:58PM

Mr. Tan:

What cheap imitations do you mean? Hardloy/Hialoy/?loy are the same rings! Just a different name for each individual manufacturer to call their version. Please do not get titanium oxide and alumina oxide and silicon carbide confused next.

Mark, you should have no problem with whatever ring you choose, but do stay away from the ceramic. Good idea to go with the SIC top, this is how I run all of my rods, even the light actions. Just a habit that is hard to break, tough to think of crappie being tough on tackle.

Good luck

Gregor

Posted by: Chris Tan (---.jaring.my)
Date: February 13, 2002 06:02AM

Mr. Selke,

the cheap imitations are the ones on the cheap rods that I wouldn't even know what brand they are. Some people I know refer to these as hardloy, though they are not hardloy, or hialoy.

Mark, Selke is right, go for an SiC tip top. I build all my freshwater rods on hardloy with and SiC top to keep the cost dowm. On bluewater I prefer all SiC, but I don't think it is a must. Nice to have for the insurance. Have seen heaps of billfish do 300-400 yd runs on hardloy on both SiC, rollers, and HARDLOY. Never seen a problem with the line on hardloy yet, with both mono and braid. Only problem with hardloy is if the line see-saws on the same area continuously the heat will destroy the mono. Don't see that problem with muskie nor most bluewater fish. (I haven't gone for large tuna <yet> so no comment on those).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster