I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Wraps on A Spey Rod?
Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.hpl.hp.com)
Date: February 11, 2002 04:39PM

By reputation, the ferrules on a spey rod are particularly highly stressed--it's actually recommended that you tape them when rigging the rod for use. What I am wondering is how much ferrule wrap to put on the spey rod I am building. At a recent expo, I looked at spey rods by a number of different manufacturers and found that there wasn't any consensus among them. Redington had a rather short and simple wrap may half an inch long while Scott went for belt and suspenders with something like at least a couple on inches of single wrap and a half an inch of a double wrap at the base. Others fell somewhere in between. My current inclination is to do a single wrap the length of the insertion, but I am wondering what informed opinion and experience there is on the subject out there.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Wraps on A Spey Rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 11, 2002 05:44PM

The most important part of the wrap is the first few thread wraps - that nearest the edge of the female ferrule opening. You can make the wrap 10 inches long and still have the ferrule fail if you don't get it close, and snug, at the edge of the opening.

You are trying to prevent a split-out and the only place that can occur/start is at the very edge. I have made ferrule wraps on some pretty beefy rods and never make it more than twice as long as the diameter of the female ferrule opening at that point. Any more is overkill and really adds nothing to ferrule strength.

The main thing is get your wrap close to the edge (1mm is good) and make it very snug - much more so than your guide wraps. (But not so tight that you constrict the ferrule opening.)

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster