I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Duh
Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (---.citicorp.com)
Date: February 11, 2002 09:47AM

Okay, I have made many blunders that I smack my head (like I coulda had a V-8) and will probably best myself as time goes on. I'll admit to screwing up my finish about a month ago when it was real chilly in the house any my epoxy was kinda thick. I had mixed the resin and hardener when I had a brainstorm... turns out it was a brain cramp, and I seemed to remember that I can zap it in the microwave to thin it out a little. So, in it goes for 10 seconds and at the end of the 10 seconds, I opened the microwave and I was greeted with epoxy fumes like I used to smell when I made boat hulls. Whew!!! And the epoxy was as thin as alchohol. So I thought it may be too warm but I can still work with it despite the fumes. So, as I was applying it to my butt wrap, it soaked right in but as I was going back into my mixing cup for more, I noticed some skin was forming on the top... Hmmm?! As I continued to apply the epoxy, my spatula was having more resistance from the epoxy being stirred and it dawned on me that my finish was setting up on my!!!! Urrrrgggghhh!!! Like greased lightning, I stared to scrap off what was on top of the wrap before it had a chance to level off and I got down to the wraps and I felt like I dodged a big bullet. Whew!!! Learn from my mistake, don't nuke mixed finish... only the resin.

So, what kind a boo boos have you guys had? And don't tell me you never made any mistakes!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mistakes?, naw!....
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 11, 2002 10:05AM

Ed,
I can't imagine anyone not learning quite a bit from mistakes. RodBuilding is a life learning experience, and the mistakes we learn from will only better your craft skills.

As for the finish in the microwave, some finishes may tolerate this treatment better than others. Applying gentle heat to a thickening mixture will increase its viscosity, but also may decrease the pot life and making it difficult to work with. Over nuking' could alter the chemical structure altogether.
One thing about decreased pot life is that it can have an affect in making you increase your work speed over time, so there are advantages and disadvantages for extended pot life or thinner mixtures. Off the topic a bit, but this sort of goes with the idea of keeping a mixture within a range of 'thickness' that you wish to work with.

The advantage of learning from your own mistakes is that you'll know first hand to not do it next time. The advantage of learning from other's mistakes is that it may save you the first mistake.
Either way we learn, and keep on learning.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2002 10:20AM

Ed the question should be what haven't I screwed up, makes for a much shorter list
quick one Heat+ Shakespear{ugly stick}=disaster
John

Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2002 10:30AM

I mixed the epoxy unequally just recently and now my rod's all sticky. haha. But I definetely learned from that.

Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: February 11, 2002 11:51AM

I've had it sit up really fast when I used too much heat before it was mixed up also. Now I mix it up at room temp and only apply heat once it is on the rod. If I have to scrape some off I have plenty of time then. Of course I messed up a few rods before I figured out why it was setting up so fast. Sloooow learning curve. Oh well.

Re: mistakes?, naw!....HEE LAMIGLAS ROD MADE U TURN
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2002 04:46PM

I can remember (short turn memory loss) when I heard a little heat would liguify Fex Coat and make it thiner and you could easly get ride of excess by heating the finish and removeing excess with a brush.
Well guess what I forgot and left the heat to long on finish. Finish came out great smooth and even, but rod now made a U turn. at that time I was devistated now I laugh....
Bob

Re: mistakes?, naw!....HEE LAMIGLAS ROD MADE U TURN
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2002 04:47PM

I can remember (short turn memory loss) when I heard a little heat would liguify Fex Coat and make it thiner and you could easly get ride of excess by heating the finish and removeing excess with a brush.
Well guess what I forgot and left the heat to long on finish. Finish came out great smooth and even, but rod now made a U turn. at that time I was devistated now I laugh....
Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster