I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choosing butt guide size on a spiral wrap....
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2002 07:18PM

After rereading Don Morton's article in the last Rodmaker several times, I've decided to build my next bass rod/rods using the spiral wrap technique.

I'm a bit confused, however, on how to select the proper guide size/style for that 'first' guide.

My inclination is to go as small and light as I can. I'm thinking the Fuji Concept SIC single foot 'casting' guide in a number 8, going to the 'spin/cast' single foots in a 7 for the rotation, and number 6s on out. Or, for even more weight savings, should I just go with 6s for the whole thing?

Is there some criteria that dictates that the size of the first guide needs to be larger or of a different type?

The few spiral wrap rods I've seen have all used double foot casting guides for the first guide and the rotation. I'm sure that the single foots are strong enough (it's just a bass rod), so I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

Thanks.

Buddy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choosing butt guide size on a spiral wrap....
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2002 08:22PM

I use a #12 on most of mine. If you go too small on that first guide the line will pull down from the reel onto the guide ring top. I like to have mine passing through about the center. Don't know if this is technically correct or not but it seems to work well.

I would think #6's once you are under the rod would be a good thing to do.

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2002 11:22PM

Without trying to be cute, I think the answer is "it depends". You should experiment here. Two of the determining factors will be the size of the reel and the lb test of the line. I would try a 16 and play around with the rod. Then try a 12. Try a 10 and see if you can still meet all the criteria.

Maybe you could try a higher frame guide (like a spinning guide) in a lower ring size.

I don't know why you couldn't use a single foot guide for a stripper.

Good luck,

Hugh Miller

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 11, 2002 08:57AM

Buddy,

You want to stop the line from osillating as quickly as possible. If you attemp to do that to quickly, the line will bunch up in front of the guide. There is a window, so to speak; to large a guide, does not control the waves of osillation, to small a guide, adds friction. On bass rods I usually try using a 12 ring for the first guide. Test cast and make sure it will work. As far as two feet versues single foot. I don't worry about the feet coming loose, but the frame flex. With the side-ward pull on the spiral guides, I favor the extra strength of a double foot frame. Everything I have read by experts, recommend double feet for the first three guides. I use four guides to make the spiral, with the fourth being at 180 degrees and usually a single foot. Again I'm talkin' bass rods, all this could change depending on the size rod, reel size, and line specs. Rich Forhan had a very good article in Rodmaker magazine, Vol. 4, Issue#2, on spiral guide wrap bass rods. Get a back issue, the information was very helpful to me.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2002 10:06PM

There should not be any sideward pull on the guides. If there is, you should move them so that the line only touches any guide at the top or bottom.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 11, 2002 10:37PM

Hugh,

I position the guides so the line is in the bottom of the guides. The slight angle of change, especially through the first guide, will exert a side-ward pressure.

Bill Doherty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster