I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Posted by: Roy Markee (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2002 01:15AM

I have been reading this forum for several weeks now and wanted to step in and say this is a great site. :-)

I have built about 30 rods over the last 20 years and have pretty much self taught myself. My first rod I didnt know I was suppose to only put finish on the threads, I coated the entire rod. I have become much wiser over the years and have read a few books and actually produce a decent looking rod now. I recently read Tom Kirkmans book and learned a few things I have been still doing wrong/different all these years.

I am ready to advance my love for making rods to the next level and try and sell a few rods. I have gotten my business license and am trying to open accounts so I can purchase the materials at the right price, or least better than I have in the past. I dont really know where I am gonna find a buyer for my rods but I hope to find a guinea pig soon.

When you master rod makers first got started in business, did you build hand made rods and try and sell them complete, or did you try and find the end user first and make it custom to their specs? It seems to me that I have to start making rods and hope to find a buyer for that completed rod so I can have some examples of my work for references.

Also when I try and read the older post on this forum, I can only view about 2 pages of older threads. Do the older post get deleted, or am I missing something, I click on older post in the top right corner and get to do that for one or 2 pages and then it only gives me a choice for newer post, the older post link disappears.

I am sure as I undertake this venture, I will be back asking for advise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Member
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 10, 2002 09:18AM

All the pages dating back to June 12, 2001 should be here. If not, you can uncover any info you want by using the search feature at the top of the page. There are currently 10,300 posts to choose from.

How to get started in the custom rod building business varies. Some of us were out using a rod we had made for ouselves and someone noticed it and asked to have a rod made. Others just hung out a shingle and went to work.

One of the very best ways is to get involved in rod repair, if you have the skill and can afford to stock a good selection of rod components, and go from there. Once people know you do repair they will beat a path to your door and quite a few of them will inquire about custom rods. Of course, getting the word out via cost effective advertising is what keeps many rod builders from growing their business effectively.

Re: New Member
Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: February 11, 2002 09:24AM

Tom is right on about the repair approach. I think the majority of my new rod business has come from customers I did previous repair work for. If you take on repair work and do it with the skill and care you would use on a new rod, it will be noticed. Word of caution, don't quick fix or do shoddy work on repairs or people will think you do your new rods the same way.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster