I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Coloring Epoxy
Posted by: Dennis Scott (65.170.42.---)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:16PM

Is it possible to color epoxy without affecting it's bonding strength? I am repairing a broken wood insert and there are some small pieces and a crack that need to be filled in.

If it is possibe what product would you recommend adding?
The color to match is a medium brownish-gray.

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coloring Epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:34PM

It will not take very much pigment to color the epoxy and bond strength should not be affected.

What to color it with? I can't honestly remember - it has been so long since I have colored any.

Try a search on this board relating to "blank finishing" or "blank coloring or painting". I know the topic has come up before and several guys mentioned products that worked well for them.

Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 05:32PM

I use Coloring Agent for Polyester and Epoxy Resins made by Pocket Plastics. It's normally used to color gel coat repair on boats and should be found at most marine supply stores. It comes in 1 oz. tubes and a variety of colors. It's a thick substance about like toothpaste and "just a dab will do you". My primary use is my home made rod butt caps to shade the five minute epoxy to match the trim. I've never mixed it with a wrap finish epoxy but probably would work ok. As a matter of fact I think I'll be trying it soon on a wrap finish just to see how it works.

Capt. Harold

Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: February 09, 2002 05:53PM

I did some work, but seems it DID affect the epoxy average life.-

Posted by: Dave Joseph (---.dial.bright.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 07:19PM

Dennis, Harold is dead on with the polyester pigments, and it will not weaken the epoxy. The only thing I will add is that this stuff does not come in anything except the primary colors, red, blue, and yellow. It is also available in black, but I have heard that is not a color. You will need to get all three primary colors and then consult a color mix chart to get the shade you need. Hope this helps.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 08:06PM

I believe its true that there are only 4 true colors and everything else is just a combination of those 4. Tom -- don't printers only use 4 colors?

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: February 10, 2002 12:27PM

Dennis: I have used RIT liquid dye to color five minute epoxy. I use it to make winding checks for small diameter rods. John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 10, 2002 02:43PM

William,

For the most part you are correct - there are only 4 colors and everything else is made from a combination of those 4.

There are some new twists on printing however, which allow what is known as a 5th or spot color, to be used in conjunction with the 4 color process. These spot colors are usually premixed and added in addition to the 4 primary colors used. The new RodMaker uses a 5th color metallic gold (Pantone Spot color) on the front and back covers. It is not mixed with the 4 primary colors, but instead used by itself in a pre-selected location. It gives us something we could not get with our 4 primary colors.

This is more than you wanted to know I'm sure. But you asked.

By the way, cyan, magenta, yellow and black are your 4 colors.

Posted by: charlie russell (---.philadephia-13rh16rt-pa.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 11, 2002 10:29AM

The four colors Tom mentions in his post are printing standards often referred to as CYMK. They will give you a full spectrum of colors albeit with some tricky blending at times.

If you look at your computer screen, you are seeing only three colors RGB (red, green and blue) which explains why it is so difficult to get a magazine color page to reproduce accurately on a computer monitor. For purposes of coloring rod finishes these three are more than sufficient, although a tube of black can save you some time.

TMI?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster