I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My first 3 wt fly rod! I really want to do this rod right. Any suggestions?
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 01:54PM

I will soon have a very sweet, Rainshadow fly rod, thanks to Custom Rodbuilders Supplies and Rodbuilding.org.

I have built about 15 rods now, and I think I have the basics down pat. But I have never built a fly rod, so I am looking for suggestions. Here are the recommendations I've been given so far...

1. "Go with the single-foot guides. They are slicker and lighter, and should improve your casts."

2. "Put a second stripper guide 4" above the bottom one. You will shoot farther."

3. "Use a light-body epoxy over the wraps, ESPECIALLY on a 3 wt! In this case, less is more."

These things seem well within my skills. Is there anything else you would recommend? How far do you think the first guide should go from the reel? Any special tricks for doing fly rods as compared to other rods?

Thanks again!

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My first 3 wt fly rod! I really want to do this rod right. Any suggestions?
Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:29PM

Tony,

I'd suggest you sit down, take a deep breath to calm your excitement, and call me(toll-free) at 1-877-303-9331 so I can get your goodies shipped out to you!

Its really is great to have someone so excited about winning the 'posting contest' - your excitement makes this great fun for everyone on the board.

cheers for now
andy Snedden

Posted by: Steve Parks (---.mobilh01.al.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 02:43PM

Hi Tony You lucky dog!!!!!

You're on the right track with that flyrod. I would definitely go with sinlge foot guides. For the extra stripper at 4 inches, I would place all your guides and test cast. Then tape on the extra stripper and see what the results are. Did you get less or more casting distance? If you got more then use it, if you got less don't use it. The extra stripper is not a sure bet on every set up. Sometimes it's better and sometimes not. As far as the finish goes, I don't see why you couldn't use LS Supreme. There are some on the boards that use Crystal Coat but I have heard of some does & don'ts with it. Dig a little deeper on that Crystal Coat but I think LS Supreme would be fine. For the first guide, hold the rod as if you were fishing in normal position and reach up to the point where you would normally grab the line to start stripping. Mark that point and then place the first guide an inch to 2 inches above that point. Building a flyrod is just like building a casting or spinning rod. Reelseat placement is about the same, the grip installation is the same and guide placement is the same. Also, make sure you wrap the female end of the rod that excepts the male end at the ferrule. I think the length of the wrap should be 2 or 2.5 times the diameter of the rod at the female end. Not exactly sure about that length but I know it's close. I'm sure you will get plenty of good info from some of the professionals.

Good luck and you will like that RainShadow,

Steve

Date: February 09, 2002 03:05PM

Steve,

Thanks for that info! I've recently started using Flex Coat lite, and I like it a lot, but I'm interested in the Supreme, and may simply order some with the stuff.

Andy,
I'm picking up the phone now! :)

TH

Date: February 09, 2002 06:39PM

Just got off the phone with Andy of Custom Rodbuilders Supply, and he was VERY knowledgable and helpful! He took the time to answer every single question I had.

Then he helped me select the proper components and even traded me for a blank that I will use more! (I flyfish small, overgrown creeks, and the 9' rod was not the best)

I am now getting a 7 foot, four weight rod. It will have the superlight TiC single foot guides and the silver nickel reel seat. Can't wait!

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster