I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Effective modulus ?
Posted by: Jim U (---.12.67.207.in-addr.arpa)
Date: July 19, 2001 08:29AM

Without giving away trade secrets, could one of you blank mfgrs tell me how the modulus of the composite in the actual rod relates to the modulus of the graphite fibers? Is it 80% or 50% or what?

The above information would be useful to me in selecting material for hybrid graphite/bamboo concepts that occasionally surface.

TIA
Jim U

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Effective modulus ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 19, 2001 09:07AM

While you are waiting for replies from the various manufacturers, I will toss out this tidbit for you to mull over. The stiffness of a rod/blank comes from two places; the modulus of the individual fibers in use AND the particular structure they are used in. As an example, you could use the exact same fibers in the exact same amount but create two blanks of differing stiffness by altering the diameter/wall thickness of each. One would have a larger diameter with thinner walls, and one would have a smaller diameter with thicker walls. The amount/weight of material used would be the same, but the two blanks would possess quite different characteristics.

This is somewhat simplistic and there are certainly other aspects of blank construction to consider as well, but it is something to consider.

Date: July 19, 2001 12:23PM

Thanks Tom,
I'm well aware of the effects of the geometry on beam stiffness, been there; done that. I'm just puzzling over the materials themselves. As far as I know a published number like 43 mpsi applies only to the graphite fibers themselves.

Date: July 19, 2001 03:53PM

I believe you are correct. The figure for the prepeg would be a bit less, if the makers even rate it at all. I am sure one of the manufacturers will fill us in on this.

Posted by: Jason (St. Croix) (---.lax.customer.centurytel.net)
Date: July 19, 2001 04:29PM

You are exactly right Jim. The number that some manufacturers use to market there rods in terms of modulus, only refers to the carbon fiber itself. However, the resin and the scrim used in a blank also have a modulus, but they don't market that number, because it is so low. It's an easy out for some people. In terms of the percentage of each it can vary. However, without disclosing to much the following is a good rule of thumb. Fiber (50-55%), resin (35-40%) and scrim (6-12%). Really from here, it's the quality of each, the design process, and the manufacturing process that seperates the good from the bad. Good comments Tom, it's nice to see you guy's checking into this stuff. Let me know if I can help anymore.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (63.50.54.---)
Date: July 19, 2001 05:21PM

Now if ST. Croix would just bite the bullet and build some blanks that match the Seeker CSU surf rod specs they would have a winner!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jim U (---.as7.nwbl0.wi.voyager.net)
Date: July 19, 2001 06:58PM

Thanks Jason,

So if the fiber content of the prepreg is say 55%, would it be safe to say that the MOE of the composite is somewhat over 24 mpsi using 43 mpsi fiber, assuming that scrim and resin contibute only slightly to the bending modulus?

Hey, I really liked that new short spey blank even though I'm a lousy spey caster.

Jim U

Posted by: Chris-Flying Fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: July 20, 2001 09:18AM

OK, here is another question.

Is the scrim part of the prepreg cut sheet they roll up to make the blank or is it a separate sheet rolledwith the main pre peg sheet fibres?

Thanks

Date: July 20, 2001 10:41AM

Your not to far off with that Jim. You would be looking at around 21-23MSI. Again, there's more variables to keep in mind, such as scrim type and resin type which can alter the equation slightly. Most prepregs used today have a cured part modulus of half the value of the fiber modulus. Playing with the content of each as a percentage, and the type of each like I said will change things. To answere Chris's question, the scrim is part of the raw material. It is not seperate entity. It can be if we wanted it to be, but it's much easier to process if its built into the resin and fiber. Typically prepreg is manufactured like a sandwich is made. A controlled amount of resin is distributed onto a sheet of paper. A layer of fiber is spread out over top of the resin, and then a layer of scrim is added as well. All three components are somewhat compressed together to make a pre-impregnated composite. Hope this helps.

Date: July 20, 2001 01:49PM

Thanks again, Jason.

FYI I'm not a spy from a competitor. Bamboo guys occasionally talk about converting tapers from other materials, or laminating reinforced materials into bamboo. I sometimes mess around with composites in handle sections-considerable weight saving in heavy rods.

BTW are those proportions typical for S or E glass also?

Date: July 20, 2001 02:54PM

They can be Jim, but you'll commonly see the resin content in glass prepregs to be higher. E-glass is a good example. It generally has a very tacky feel to it.

Posted by: Chris-Flying Fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: July 22, 2001 09:45PM

Jason,

thanks for your enlightening answers.

It has been mentioned that the scrim is normally of lower modulus thus lowers the overall figure of the blank. Why couldn't a higher modulus material be used for the scrim? Is it because the scrim roll around to sharply for a high modulus material to be used?

In graphite rods, is the scrim normally graphite or glas?

Date: July 23, 2001 03:48PM

Blank manufacturers typically use a glass scrim because of its availablity and it's lower cost. You can use carbon as a scrim, but it is much more expensive, and at times harder to work with. We do use a carbon scrim in our Legend Elite series. This is one of the very few blanks in the world that is truely all carbon. Most do use glass.

scrim direction
Date: July 23, 2001 04:20PM

Graphite scrim has to be used a bit differently as it won't take such a sharp bend as the glass variety. Many manufacturers have solved that problem by laying it up in an angled fashion so it is not exactly 180 degrees to the linear fibers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster