I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps Printer Alternatives?
Posted by: STEVE TOMIYAMA (12.22.108.---)
Date: September 26, 2008 06:48PM

Have heard that the Alps printer (md1000 or md5000) can be used for making decals, but they are becoming more and more scarce. I just don't feel comfortable getting a used one on one of the other web sites.

Are there any other brands of printers that can do the same thing? at a reasonable cost?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps Printer Alternatives?
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 26, 2008 07:28PM

Any of the HP Inkjet printers in the 7400 series, in combination with the Testor's Decal Kit (available at hobby stores and online). The Testor's kit includes appropriate software, and you can use any image or drawing you want.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2008 07:28PM by Russ Pollack.

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2008 08:57PM

Russ

Does the ink run and can you print in silver? I have a higher end Dell inkjet and tried to use it to make waterslides but the ink runs as soon as the threadmaster or flex coat hits it. I tried to coat the decal with fixatif and didn't have much better luck as the fixatif blurred the edges also.

matt

Posted by: Ross van Enckevort (---.lns10.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: September 26, 2008 10:09PM

Steve,
If you don't mind spending some $$ [www.powis.com]
This is what I will get when my Alps dies.

Regards,

Ross.

Posted by: STEVE TOMIYAMA (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2008 01:26PM

Russ Pollack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any of the HP Inkjet printers in the 7400 series,
> in combination with the Testor's Decal Kit
> (available at hobby stores and online). The
> Testor's kit includes appropriate software, and
> you can use any image or drawing you want.
>
> Uncle Russ
> Calico Creek Rods

I've tried decal connections water slide transfer sheet with my inkjet but the colors just aren't dark or bright enough. how are the colors on testor's.

Posted by: STEVE TOMIYAMA (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2008 01:29PM

Ross van Enckevort Wrote:
> Steve,
> If you don't mind spending some $$
> [www.powis.com]
> 1x.php
> This is what I will get when my Alps dies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ross.

Ross, that's got to be the rolls royce o f decal printers for rod builders! if only money was no object.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 27, 2008 03:02PM

Steve

My medium of choice for inkjet printing is a white adhesive back vinyl. These things are absolutely bullet proof and the colors are extremely vivid once you get them epoxied. There is no pre or post preperation needed. With a decent software you can print just about anything you can dream up or get off a computer file.

How bullet proof? You can't smudge or smear them by touching or handling. I have installed them a little crooked then pulled them back off and re-installed with no ill effects. You can even rub them down with alcohol without effect.

The inkjet of course won't print metalics but TomK taught us how to approximate silver, gold and bronze sometimes back and its pretty good if it is not a large area. Whites are of course no problem because the medium is white.

If you need a link to the source of this medium please contact me.

Hope this helps.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 27, 2008 05:02PM

For those of you using ink jet... how bad do they degrade over time with UV exposure?

Typically ink jet inks don't have a long life expectancy in the sun. Does the epoxy protect it enough to eliminate concern?

-----------------
AD

Date: September 27, 2008 05:24PM

Alex

I have some on my personal rods that are 2 1/2 years old. I see no disernable change in them except for normal use changes. The colors are still vibrant.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2008 02:32PM

Bobby Feazel Wrote:
>
> The inkjet of course won't print metalics but TomK
> taught us how to approximate silver, gold and
> bronze sometimes back and its pretty good if it is
> not a large area. Whites are of course no problem
> because the medium is white.
>
> If you need a link to the source of this medium
> please contact me.
>
> Hope this helps.

Bobby, is the approximating mettalic in a back issue? I must have missed that along the way.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Date: September 28, 2008 02:51PM

Scott

Yes, Can't find it on a quick look but I believe it was in the article about labels on plain paper.

BTW It was not to approximate metallics but simply silver, gold, or bronze. Sorry if I confused.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2008 04:56PM

Thanks Bobby, I think I have that back issue....if not guess I am ordering :-)

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.sydney.spin.net.au)
Date: September 30, 2008 12:20PM

It makes me glad I purchased 3 new ALPS MD1000 printers when I had the chance considering that Foilfast printer is a direct copy of a ALPS MD1000 and it only cost a little over $2000 USD.
See Here [www.ddgraph.com.au]
I purchased the 3 new ALPS MD1000 for around $1000 AUD with 15 metallic cartridges
The shop next door is a sign printer and he has a commercial printer that prints in metallic (gold, silver, white, foil ect) and it takes cartridges just like a ALPS only bigger and better and you can buy a new machine for around $3500 or a second-hand machine for around $2000
I have been eyeing one like that off for a while oh well only 2 1/2 MD1000's to go.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 11:56AM

You can see what I do here with a plain inkjet(my printer was about $90 new). You can get silver/gold/ or any other color using different color threads. They look great, are completely customizable, and take virtually no time to make. I have had customer rods that have seen HEAVY use and lots of sun come back to me with the labels looking virtually as good as the day that I put them on the rod. Just my 2¢.

[cabochonrods.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster