I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mudhole Tackle
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2002 10:37PM

How are they to deal with?? My friend has heard some horror stories with Mudhole...im just checking before I make my order

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mudhole Tackle
Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2002 10:43PM

Don,

This subject was discussed in detail here and on other boards. Do a search on Mudhole and make up your own mind.

Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2002 10:44PM

You will hear horror stories about just about every dealer out there. Some are true, and some are not. I've dealt with several of the dealers on this page and all have done right by me. I'd bet that 95% of the horror stories are just that, stories.

If a dealer was bad on a consistent basis they couldn't stay in business on what appears to be a pretty competitive hobby.

Posted by: Jack Young (---.tamqfl1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2002 11:45PM

I have ordered from Mudhole Tackle two times recently. The orders were received promptly without any backorders or problems.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 09, 2002 12:01AM

I have not had problems. Just opposite.

Posted by: Jeff Cantley (---.charterwv.net)
Date: May 09, 2002 12:13AM

It seems to me that as long as what you want is in stock they get it to you fast, but I have ordered some blanks from them that were to be drop shipped form the factory and there always seems to be a problem. The first order took over two months, and the last one took about a month. The good thing is that they have always corrected or made up for it, or maybe I just have bad luck. If you are not in a hurry give them a try and see what happens.

Posted by: Phil D'Avanzo (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2002 02:51AM

Don,

This topic has been discussed here before as well, but the topic was tempered a bit due to the fact that they are a sponsor. But since you're asking, my personal experiences have been terrible. Out of respect for this venue, I won't go into details. I would personally advise you to look elsewhere.

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: May 09, 2002 07:37AM

Don,
I have experienced the sam problems as everyone has, but I find if I ask the salesperson to repeat back all I have ordered, aske what is and what is not in stock, so you can order that particular item elsewhere if you wish. Also ask if he/she (get name of salesperson), can give you a date the order will be shipped and how (postal or carrier). This sounds like a lot, but nowadays it is important for piece of mind. Don't forget, carriers like UPS take their good old time when things are sent "ground". Probably a week. This way you won't be dissapointed, and you can come back to them and confirm everything that wen on. Ordering for rod building requires many parts, and the salespersons are always interrupted while on the phone. Just make sure they understand what you have called for.
Sanford

Posted by: steve walters (---.jci.com)
Date: May 09, 2002 08:24AM

The only probs with mudhole I've ever had has been with back orders. I don't think it's them as much as it's everyone. Back orders are a pain. I've had the best luck calling my order in by phone and verifying they are in stock and if not I can usually find something else that works. Good luck, steve

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: May 09, 2002 08:30AM

Topics are never tempered due to whether or not anyone is a sponsor. Anyone who knows me knows that I always take the stand of fairness to any and all, regardless of whether they are friend or foe, sponsor or not.

But what I will not have, is any dealer or manufacturer being unfairly targeted or crucified unjustly. This happens very often on many boards. In the recent string of posts on Merrick Tackle, Merrick received some very unflattering comments and when you scratched beneath the surface, many were found to be inaccurate.

All anyone has to do to find out what kind of service anyone offers is to give them a try. Order a few small items and see what develops. First hand experience with a company will tell you what you need to know.

Posted by: Bill Boettcher (---.157.66.19.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 09, 2002 09:21AM

I live in Bergan County in NJ, And my first order from them came too me in seven buisness days! Talk to Scott there he knows' his stuff I find them too be pretty darn good

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.mclass.broadwing.net)
Date: May 09, 2002 12:07PM

I've never dealt with Mudhole, but have had very good success with Custom Tackle. But it is hard to beat some of the deals Mudhole offers... Often, you will pay for cheap, in lesser service. Just understand that going into the deal, and problems don't seem so bad.

TH

Posted by: Mike Kosiba (163.206.192.---)
Date: May 09, 2002 12:16PM

Mudhole has a courteous and knowledgeable staff, and they carry reputable product lines. I have always received excellent service. I live in the Orlando area so I'm able to place my orders in person.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2002 12:17PM

I have known and dealt with Tom at the Mudhole since they moved to Florida, and have not experienced any unusual problems.
Having been building rods for some 20 years I have dealt with a large number of vendors, many of which are now board sponsors and some who are not, and in all that time have experienced only one major problem with one vendor that was unsolvable to my satisfaction.
I can also say that at one time or another got quite annoyed with back orders with many vendors, but what we need to consider is the vendor irregardless of which one makes money on items shipped and they want to get the product out ASAP often the backlog is from the factory, and in truth most vendors will try to err on the side of optimism in stating future delievery dates and would be better to be more frank in discussions on possible delievery problems.
Seems we want them to be available for phone information and complain when the lines are busy.
In conclussion if you have a problem with any vendor and you are not satisfied, hit them where it hurts, simply use another.
John
Now if I could only get that blank I have had backordered for 6 weeks from a non sponsor all would be well.

Posted by: Wesley Chappell (161.33.3.---)
Date: May 09, 2002 01:54PM

I have had great success with Mudhole. I used to have all kind of problems with orders from just about every place I ordered from but like Sanford I now ask the sales person to repeat my order and ask if the items are back ordered.

Vendors
Posted by: Joe Heddy (---.tnt2.peoria.il.da.uu.net)
Date: May 09, 2002 02:46PM

Not a knock on any vendor but just the opposite want to take a minute to praise the following vendors for all thier help with my orders,not in any particular order ,Clemens Custom Tackle, Neals, Janns Netcraft, Schneiders Rod Shop,and two non sponsors but hope they will become one Anglers workshop,and Wild River Dist. all of the above have given me exceptional service and delivery,not once have ive had a wrong or damage order,back orders have all been sent within 10 days,cannot ask for anything better. Thank you all and look forward to ordering from them again.

Re: Two Thumbs Up
Posted by: Mark Soloway (66.9.13.---)
Date: May 09, 2002 04:29PM

My order from them was delivered promptly. In fact, a day after I placed my order I emailed a question about the order to them and they responded within an hour.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 09, 2002 10:22PM

Hi,

Just .02 more on ordering blanks. I can understand the business side of distributors not stocking as many blank types as before.

There are so many good blanks to build on that it costs distributors a fortune to stock them and then how many of each should they stock.

If I'm told that a "special order" has to be made I look for a substitute model. The distributor has told me that he has to order a predetermined # of the blanks. If I order that amount then the order goes in. If the distributor has to wait until he meets that number then who knows how long it will take.

It just isn't worth waiting for UNLESS the customer wants THAT blank and is willing to WAIT.

Capt Neil

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2002 01:08AM

Anything worth having is worth waiting for and patience is a virtue. Thats easy for me to say because I don't make a living rod building. Everyone seems to want it yesterday. Rod building for me is for the pure pleasure of it.
So far I have dealt with Clemens, Cabelas, and Mudhole. All have been good so far but if I had to buy from one vender it would have to be Clemens Custom Tackle because of large selection of products, fast service, and nice sales person.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster