I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North East Rodbuilders Update (NERBs)
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 21, 2005 03:11PM

Just posting some of what we've been up to this year, and what we're looking foward to in the coming months. It's been a while since I sent out an update to old "members", adn invited new people to join, so here goes.

The First Annual "NERBs Fluke Fishing Charter" where 12 Rodbuilders, friends and family totalling 26 people came and enjoyed teh day fishing on the Lucky Charm out of Atlantic highlands, NJ. Fishing was slow, but we had a great time talking, eating, and fishing. As luck would have it, my Dad won both pools ($10 & a $5) with a 4.5# Fluke, and Greg was runner up taking home the second place prize.

I tried organizing a NERBs Tuna charter, but it didn't pan out, as the approaching hurricane blew us out this Friday. Fortuantely for me, I have another trip planne dmonday with another group of friends, so I'll hopefully be able to bend a coupel of the blanks I wrapped for these trips then. ****** If anyone wants to do one of these trips, PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP - I am looking for guys to put together one more of these trips in mid- October.*******

Looking ahead - the NERBs will have a Booth at the Charlotte Rod Building Show in 2006. the application & deposit were mailed in yesterday, booth will be open to all to come in and chat about rodbuilding, but focusing on Thread Art. Mike Joyce, Seane Endies, possibly Mike McGiveny & myself will be manning the booth, doing butt wraps & etc's. We'll have a Clemens lathe set up with 2 Headstocks so we'll be able to have 2 people working side by side similtaneously. Non-stop butt wraps, guide wraps, trim bands, and grip inlays will be on display, one of the 4 of us should be busy at work trying to show people how we do what we do.

THere will also be at least 1 New York Gathering at my shop, and 1 up in Massachusettes at Mike Joyce's shop. We look foward to meeting some new guys, and getting some of the guys who have been to these beofre to bring some better food. Maybe a Filet Mignon Roast? lol. Seriously, it's a great time, ask questions, @#$%&, eat, meet new people - all levels are welcome, guys who never wrapped a rod before, guys who are Pro's. Come share what you know, come with open ears ready to learn. It's a great time.

If any of this interests you, please e-mail me to let me know. Membership is totally FREE, all I will do is add you to my personal contact list, and send you e-mails when events are being planned. Obviously, if you show up to a fishing trip, you'll have to pay for that, and if you come to a gathering, you are ASKED, not required to bring something - a case of water, some snacks, food, whatever.

If you feel like you can host an event, or have an idea for something, please let me know, and I will work with you to put it together.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North East Rodbuilders Update (NERBs)
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 05:28PM

We're going to Charlotte?....I suppose you'll want me to pick you up in NYC on the way?? ...LOL.

I'll be having the MA Gathering sometime in January, probablly try the "start to finish custom rod " where we go over the complete construction of a rod...have some of the builders do some brief demos on feather inlays, pigmentilizing, and mixing and applying finish. The best part of these gatherings is making friends and meeting new people, not to mention learning and seeing how people do things so different. So far the MA Gatherings have had builders from "zero" experience to "many"...age 22 to 60. Its something thats fun to do when there's 3 feet of frost in the ground, with an equal amount of snow on top of that. If you're in the New England area, you're more than welome to attend.

Mike

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2005 08:16PM

Mike:

Where in Mass would this take place?
I may have to make the journey down from Maine.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 08:42PM

The Mass gathering is in the Worcester area. Since starting the NERBs (formerly NERDs), I've made quite a few friends, some of which I speak with on an almost daily basis. It's great to have a group who have the same interests - you can bounce ideas off each other, and really expand your knowledge of teh craft. I know I've learned a lot of things that I would have had to tinker around with, or just never come up with on my own.

Posted by: Paul reyburn (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 09:05PM

Hey pick me up in Phila on the way down

Posted by: Fernando Torres (4.43.108.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 12:02AM

Hello Billy

Where is your gathering held at? I reside in THE BRONX, being a new rod builder I would like to take in some info and educate myself some more on this wonderful hobby.

Thanks
Fernando

Date: September 22, 2005 05:09AM

Ernie....like Billy said, just outside of Worcester, its take me about 2.25 hours to get to Portland, ME. Your more than welcome to attend.

Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.129.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 06:01AM

Hey Billy you can't swing that bus past Brisbane can you. Shouldn't put you out I hope, hey maybe we can pick up the rest of us Mob from down here.

Posted by: fred marcuson (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 06:20AM

heck mike ; if you are gonna pick billy up , ya might as well swing by & grab me on the way south :)
i can at least take a shift at driving :):)
derf
aka :
fred marcuson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2005 06:22AM by fred marcuson.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:33AM

Fernando, I'm in Staten Island, 5 minutes over the VZ bridge.

Myles, with gas prices it would be cheaper to fly my family around the world....then to sit next to soemone else driving all teh way to AU.

Derf - how've you been? Nice cheap shot trying to mosey in on my ride, lol. However, since we all know how far you are willing to drive for a night of fishing, we know Charlotte is like a run to the GRocery Store for you. HAve fun up at the Fling this weekend.

Date: September 22, 2005 02:48PM

Fred, we'll chat about it over a cup of coffee at the Canal on saturday!!

Posted by: Mike McGivney (69.253.94.---)
Date: September 25, 2005 09:40PM

I've had a great time so far this year learning alot and sharing some of what I've picked up. Nothing beats the comment by the mate on the Fluke trip when he saw all of Billy's rods, "All I see is crooked guides and braided line"

So far it doesn't look like I'll be in Charlotte but I hope to be at Mike's house in Jan and definitly at Billy's Maybe some of us can get together around here and actually get to fish this time instead of staring at raging seas and tossing tennis balls around..lol

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.177.15.241.adsl.snet.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 06:27AM

I am looking forward to the gatherings at Mike's and Billy's, they are great. I personally learned alot at these gatherings, very informative.

I will be in Charlotte, wrapping along with these guys. Looking forward to meeting builders from across the country, and the world.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster