I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How Many??
Posted by: Rafael Fernandes (---.146.44.9.adsl.gvt.net.br)
Date: August 18, 2005 03:50PM

how many rods you make per month? and how many rods you made in all life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Many??
Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: August 18, 2005 03:56PM

Before the big guns comes chiming in to give uss some four digit totals I tell you my rather humble total of some 20 rods. ;) :D

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.nyc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 04:23PM

I've built about 40 rods + or - a few in about 5 years. I have definitely slowed down as i like my current arsenal. I have a fenwick Fenglass 6ft 5wt that I stipped and am ready to re-wrap, but that's about it until this winter. Then I'll probably build 1 or 2 rods this winter just for fun.

Lou

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 18, 2005 04:38PM

Building for 5 years, probably have made 20-25 for other people, a few less for myself. i'd guess 50 total.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 05:54PM

How many? A lot as I have been building off and on since either 1959/1960. Dang that is 45 years ain't it.

You folks can not believe how much rod building has changed during that period of time. I was building 5 1/2 or six foot bass rods out of either Fenwick or Harnell fiber glass blanks with Featherweight handles and chrome guides. I coated the wraps with Gudebod rod varnish sometimes as many as 12 coats in order to sort of cover the wraps and level them. I bought the thread that I wrapped with at a boot maker and shoe repair supplier. It was about size B and you could get Red, Blue, Brown, Orange Yellow, Black,and White. The first glues that I used were a powder that you mixed with water. Some one told me one time that the powder was made from cattle horns and hoofs. I don't wheather or not that was true.

Things got a lot better in the late sixties and early seventies.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 05:55PM

"One rod is too many! and a thousand is never enough!".............quote from Rodbuilders Anonymous 12-step program booklet (page 132,step 7)

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.129.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 08:07PM

Rafael

I outwrap for a living so my numbers are high. For the last fifteen years I've averaged between four and five thousand rods a year. That's just wrapping them not gluing handles and finishing them. Over the years I've probably done about five hundred custom rods. When you wrap as many rods as I do you get fast. This weekend I'm going to wrap twenty five Lamaglas rods and twenty five Rouge rods. Today was an easy day I only wrapped twelve Ordella rods. Tomorrow will be even easier I only have four Burkheimer rods to wrap.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 09:37PM

Hey Thomas,
I guess you don't use the coat-hanger and book method any more.
Or do you ? LOL!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Magnus Högberg (---.handelsbanken.se)
Date: August 19, 2005 06:34AM

Rafael Fernandes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how many rods you make per month? 0.25
> and how many rods you made in all life? 7

And with some basic mathematics you can see that i've built rods for 1.75 years.
I'm still stuck in the process of learning the trade so no one buy my rods, I just throw them at my frends and anyone who doesn't get away.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.229.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 09:43AM

Not as many as I would like to

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster